Thursday, November 3, 2011

Shrimp and Grits

I always wanted to attempt a shrimp and grits recipe, but I have to admit, I was a little intimidated.  I tried out this Paula Deen recipe and it turned out pretty good.  I'll definitely make a few changes next time and I've put a few changes from the original recipe in here, so if you try it out and have some ideas, please comment and let me know what you did differently!

Shrimp and Grits

1 c stone ground grits
salt and pepper
1/4 c butter
1 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 slices bacon, chopped into small pieces
4 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp parsley
1 c green onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
Cook grits according to package directions, adding salt and pepper to taste.  When done, remove from heat and stir in the butter and cheddar until melted.  Keep covered until ready to serve.
Fry the bacon until brown and crispy, then drain.  Once cool, chop into small pieces.
Add shrimp to 1 cup of bacon grease and saute over medium heat until they just turn pink, about 2-3 minutes.  Do not overcook the shrimp!  Remove from heat and immediately add the lemon juice, parsley, green onion, and garlic.
Pour the grits into a serving bowl.  Top with shrimp mixture (I spooned out the shrimp and then just added a little of the liquid) and sprinkle with bacon.






No comments:

Post a Comment