Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fried Okra!

Okay, I must admit, that although I am a true Southerner, I didn't like fried okra until a few years ago when I tried my mother-in-law's.  I could never get excited about the frozen blandly breaded okra served in restaurants.  I have played around with the recipe for my own fried okra and now I love it!  So I hope even if you're not really a fan of okra, you'll try this out!  (And the best part, okra is SO easy to grow on your own...this summer all the fried okra has been from my very own garden!)

Fried Okra

12-14 pods of okra (picked at about 3-4 inches if growing your own, too much larger and they'll be too dry)
4-5 tbsp flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
canola oil
Cut the ends off of the okra pods.  Cut the okra pods into 1/2 inch pieces.  Place in mixing bowl.  Sprinkle with salt, mix the okra around until all have been sprinkled with salt.  Sprinkle with black pepper, again mix around.  Dredge in flour until all okra are covered.  Allow to sit five minutes, then stir one last time.  Heat enough canola oil over medium heat to cover the okra.  Once oil is hot, add okra and allow to cook.  Allow the okra to cook, so DON'T mess with them except to turn them about the pan once.  Cook until breading begins to turn light brown.  Drain on paper towels.



No comments:

Post a Comment