Friday, July 15, 2011

Slow Cooker BBQ

It has been a little while since I've posted, but I have been enjoying my summer off by traveling!  I've been to the beach and the mountains and took a 10 day trip to California with my husband.  We visited LA, San Francisco, Yosemite National Park (where we hiked Half Dome!), and drove up the Pacific Coast Highway.  It was an amazing trip, so I posted a few pictures for you to see!





Today's recipe is something I've wanted to try for a long time.  It's a slow cooker BBQ recipe that I found online and I've been waiting on a day that I had 12 hours to cook it.  It turned out better than I even expected to, so I hope you'll try it out!

Slow Cooker BBQ

4 lb boston butt pork shoulder
2 bottles BBQ sauce of your choice (I used a spicy, sweet sauce)
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
Place whole pork in crockpot.  Sprinkle 1 tsp of each seasoning over the top of the pork.  Pour one bottle of BBQ sauce over pork.  Cook on low 8 hours.  After 8 hours, remove pork from crockpot and place on broiler pan.  Pour out liquid from crockpot, reserving 1/8-1/4 cup.  Separate and shred pork, add back into crockpot.  Pour second bottle of BBQ sauce over pork.  Add 1/8 cup of liquid.  Continue to cook on low for at least another hour and up to 3-4 more hours.  Stir every 20 minutes or so, adding more liquid if BBQ starts to look dry.  (I ended up turning my crockpot to "warm" after about an hour to keep it from drying out.)  Serve as a sandwich or eat on its own with slaw and baked beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment